Greek-Style Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki
This recipe originally caught my eye because it claimed, “even the kids will eat this!” I thought of so many of my friends whose kiddos are picky-eaters and the recipe sounded delish and so healthy, that it was on my must try and share with you list!
I recommend using ground turkey with a bit of fat in it. I have used the 99% fat free variety and the burgers were a bit dry in the end, even 97% had a preferable texture. Instead of using sliced red onion on the burger I prefer to chop it up and put it in the burger – it tastes even more savory. And I use big leaves of Bibb lettuce to wrap it in instead of using a bun (my husband isn’t the biggest fan of bread).
When I started making this recipe I did not have a grill so I baked them in the oven on a broiling pan to drain off the fat. Now that I do have a grill I still bake them! Also, the tzatziki recipe is incredibly simple, but if it’s not your thing the burgers are still delicious without it. Or, here’s a secret– Fage makes a super tasty tzatziki. It can be a little tricky to find though.
Prep time: 25 minutes
1-pound ground turkey
4 ounces crumbled feta
1 cup chopped fresh or frozen spinach
Sliced tomato and red onion (optional)
For Tzatziki (yogurt sauce):
6 ounces plain yogurt
1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup minced peeled cucumber
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 425° (or fire up the grill).
1. Combine turkey, spinach and feta in a bowl. Mix well, season with salt and pepper.
2. Form six patties and place on a broiler pan (or on the grill).
3. Bake on center rack for 25 minutes. If you’re grilling, cook about 7 minutes on each side.
4. Meanwhile, combine all tzatziki ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and adjust flavors to taste.
5. When burgers are cooked through, stick ‘em on a toasted bun and top with tomato, onion, and a hearty dollop of tzatziki. Or make smaller patties and serve two on a bed of lettuce.
Accompany with one of your family’s favorite veggies dishes ~ a nd that’s dinner!
Courtesy of DailyWorth